Monday, February 24, 2014

Sadie is Senile

Sadie is my not-so-reliable, yet faithful, companion. I've had her since my senior year of high school, and though we've had our ups and downs, she's still, miraculously, there for me. We had a nice bonding experience over vacation. On my drive up to Bangor last Monday she suddenly decided that she was getting a phone call and turned off the radio. The display said "CALL" and I couldn't do anything to turn it off. Sadie has been in the family for over 10 years and in that entire time she has not had the car phone that she was manufactured with. So for her to suddenly think she was getting a phone call was strange. I had completely forgotten that she even had a car phone once upon a time. It was really annoying driving without any music, and I still had at least another hour before arriving at my destination, so I pulled over and tried to figure out what was going on with poor old Sadie. I turned her off, but the display stayed on, so I waited a while and in the meantime tried searching Google for a solution to my problem. This was how I learned that she thought she was getting a phone call on her missing car phone. Eventually the display turned off, so I tried starting the car again and I had music! Hurrah! Or so I thought. I got on the interstate and kept driving and it wasn't even 5 minutes before "CALL" came back on the display. Frustrated, but not willing to pull over, I kept driving. I drove the rest of the way to Bangor without music--longest drive ever. 

I didn't drive my car anywhere while I was in Bangor, and the display never turned off, so by the time I was ready to leave a few days later, my battery was dead. Go figure. We jumped my car and she still thought she was getting a call on the car phone that she didn't have. So I drove all the way back to Farmington without any music. All the way back. Without music. It was pretty much torture. All I had to keep me company was the sound of the wind trying to blow my car off the road. When I got back into Farmington I was going to switch cars with my mom so that I wouldn't have to worry about a dead battery at work, but after I changed and got ready to go switch cars, I looked down at the hole where the car phone used to be ages ago. I saw what looked like a wire, so I went to pull on it and as soon as I touched it, my music came back on. All it took was touching the wire sticking out to make my music come back on. Of course that couldn't have happened before I left Bangor, no, it had to wait until after I got back to Farmington. 

And now she's making a terrible dragging noise some of the time while I'm driving, like there's something dragging on the ground, but of course I can't see anything wrong with her. Oh, Sadie. Always keeping me on my toes. At least the radio fix didn't cost me any money.

No comments:

Post a Comment